Tuesday 19 July 2011

Would You Like To See The Children’s Menu?

No. No, I wouldn’t like to see the Children’s Menu thanks because I can probably guess what’s on it – fish fingers and chips, sausage and chips, or pasta with tomato sauce followed by ice cream. Am I right? Yes, I thought so.

Honestly, I am so fed up of going to gastropubs and restaurants where the proper menu is full of lovely, seasonal dishes but the children’s menu is just junk. Why do they do this? Last time we went out, Mr Working Mum and I both ordered scallops for a starter but it was Toddler-Not-So-Tiny-Temper who ate most of them. The waitress couldn’t believe it (and nor could I actually - I was rather miffed at having to share). So when will restaurants realise that children are not another species, they’re just smaller versions of us? Well I have a plan. From now on let’s all start boycotting the children’s menu and insisting of half portions of real food for our little ones. If they won’t serve this (and surprising numbers of places do actually refuse) then we just take our custom elsewhere. In fact, let’s get Jamie on the case. DOWN WITH THE CHILDREN’S MENU. BRING ON THE MINI PORTION!!!

x

10 comments:

  1. Well said! Where do I sign? I think smaller portions is definitely the way forward, especially for very small people when we're adventurous with our tastes. Is it any wonder children get fussy when all they're offered when they're out is bangers or fish fingers? I like to taste everyone else's food at the table when we're out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, i work in a restaurant and our kids menu has alot of variety, for children who are more adventurous we have 4oz steak, three different types of pasta, grilled toasted sandwiches, and for the less adventurous like my son, we have chicken, burgers and ribs!! There is nothing more fulfilling at work than seeing children try something unpredictable and eat it all!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on you Chatty Baby - I also like to try everyone else's food when we're out but I can't get away with it as well as you can I imagine! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Missjade21 - your restaurant sounds much better than the ones we've been to recently. Toddler-Not-So-Tiny-Temper would go crazy for the steak! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are thinking along just the same lines as me! I was just thinking that id like to write a blog post called 'Avoiding fish fingers and potato smileys' as im so fed up of seeing kids being given this crap! It makes me feel so uncomfortable, i would never consider giving my 27 month old a whole pack of crisps, or a whole chocolate bar, or a plate of chips, why do so many mums feel ok about doing this!? And we do sometimes go for an easy dinner of mash, beans, and steamed fish but theres always fruit for afters!
    Aqeela xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Aqeela. Hopefully if we all keep banging on about it the restaurants will make the change! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't agree with you more.

    This is a great subject and one that probably needs more publicity. Have you tried to discuss it on the Britmums open forum, I believe if the majority of parents make a stand against this then restaurant will take action.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks. I did a guest post for Britmums on the subject:

    http://www.bmbblog.co.uk/2011/07/guest-post-its-time-to-banish-the-childrens-menu.html

    and having just gone there to get the link for you I've noticed that there are 15 comments! It certainly is a subject that needs airing more though. I might start a forum....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well said ! Childrens menus are rather boring to say the least - we've recently started opting for ordering an 'adult' meal with 2 small plates to get over this. Bean is an avid olive and chorizo fan so any tapas platter suits her just dandy.
    Mind you we don't eat chips at home - ever (don't have an oven!) so when we do go out to eat they generally do want chips !!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the link will go and have a look now

    ReplyDelete